Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blog Post 6


Randy Pausch did his last lecture on September 18, 2007 at Carnegie Mellon University. He was a Computer science professor. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He doesn’t want to be pitied; he says that “you can’t change the cards your dealt but how you play them.” I think that is a very good quote to live by. If more people lived by that people would be a lot happier. Randy did his speech telling people how to achieve their child hood dreams. His list included: playing in the NFL, being in zero gravity, and being a Disney imaginer just to name a few. Some were easier to achieve than others.

He discussed Jimmy Graham as his football coach as a youth and how one day Jimmy kept picking on him and telling him all the things he did wrong. It wasn’t until after practice that he was told that he was only doing that because he cared and he wanted to help. It’ important for kids who grown up playing sports to know that even if the coach is hard on them they always care about them. If their coach did not care about them they would never push them to their limit. As a teacher this can be used in the class room as well. The student should know that you care about them and you are only pushing them because you know they can do it and you care about their success. Students need to know that you are there for them and know that you care.

One thing to remember if you set a bar high enough students are willing to try to succeed and go above and beyond. Students will compete against each other to try to reach the goal and reach their full potential. Also a good way to teach something is to make it fun. Students can do things that will teach them a skill without even knowing they are learning. The best way for a student to learn is when they don’t think they are. You can make it into a game, learning should be fun. I remember when I was in 3rd grade we used to sing songs to learn out multiplication table. I hated math, but I loved those songs because I loved music. I was leaning my multiplication tables without even knowing.

I really enjoyed watching his speech. Watching this video without any history of his condition you would have never known that he is going to die within the next few months. He is such an inspiration and his advice is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. One thing that really stuck out to me is when he said when people are chewing you out listen and agree. Instead of getting all defensive, listen and take feedback. This can also be used in a class room if a student or parent is complaining about how you do something in your classroom. See if it needs improvement or adjustment. Don’t have my way or the high way rule with students, teachers, and parents. Take their advice and grow to be a better teacher.

2 comments:

  1. "...have never know that he..." known instead of know

    "...if a student or parent is completing about how you do something fix it. ..." I do not understand what you are trying to say. I tried substituting complaining for completing but that does not help.

    Don’t have your way or the high way take students, teachers, ands parents advice and grown to be a better teacher.
    " Same for this sentence. What are you trying to say? It is not at all clear to me.

    PROOFREAD!

    You MUST proofread what you write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I corrected your comments and I will be more careful next time.

    ReplyDelete