Friday, March 9, 2012

C4T #2




Post 1 What School is REALLY Like for Students
My blog was by Beth Still. Her post was entitled “What School is REALLY Like for Students.” She is a teacher at a alternative school called Vaults. She talked about she talked about the education system in America. She talked about her class discussed what schools are doing right and what they are doing wrong. She had students share their view and most of them were negative. One of the complaints was the there are too many rules. She then goes to explain how she does it her class room to avoid this complaint. She does this for every complaint that the students had. I found this post very interesting some of the thing that she does in the class room to make the students comfortable. These are great ideas that I will be using in my class room.
I commented and said I completely agree with you that students need to be treated with respect. When I was in school it really did feel like prison. Students are more willing to learn that way. I really like how your post was set up by telling the problem and what works for you. I think this is a great post that all teachers need to read. I really enjoyed reading your post.






Post 2 Following a Different Path

This blog post was sad to me. She talks about how her school might be a risk of closing soon. These students who used to hate school now have a way to learn and enjoy it. If the school closes, this will be taken away from the students. These students can make something out of themselves because of this school. As soon as some of the student found out they made a facebook group trying to save the school. They posted how the school has helped them. If a school that’s cares so much about their students closed they will lose all faith in the school system. They already left the mainstream school because they didn’t like it.
I commented and said I am very sorry to hear about you school. I really hope they keep it open. These students need people to be there for them. If this is taken away from them that would just be horrible.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Ashley! I was enjoying the first part of your post about the Vaults school and I was sad to hear about it possibly being closed. It is so sad that these students finally found what they needed and it might be taken away from them! This post really made me think though. One of the biggest problems with schools is the message we give students. School systems think more rules means more security and stability, but for the students it means less respect, less responsibility, less faith in their abilities and attitudes, less freedom...like you said: prison. I would never want my students to feel like I didn't have faith in them and gave them rules to limit their freedom and as a consequence, their enjoyment and learning.
    Keep up the good work!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete